Boonville was once a bustling pioneer town located in the center of Brazos County between the Brazos and Navasota Rivers. Although its lifespan was a mere 25 years, from 1841-1866, it formed the foundation of Brazos County. This area was traversed by Europeans in the late 1600s who built El Camino Real – the King’s Highway – through Texas along today’s northern border of the county. This area would eventually become known as Boonville and in 1841 became the county seat of Brazos County. When the Houston and Central Texas Railway located two miles west of Boonville in 1861, residents left for the newly formed community of “Bryan.” County offices and businesses moved from Boonville to Bryan, sealing the fate of the little town.